Thursday, October 28, 2010

Twenty-five: House on Haunted Hill

When I picked out my movies to watch on Monday, I told David that I was looking for campy, fun- not so serious or gory. He handed me Creepshow and Piranha, looked at the copy of House on Haunted Hill in my hands, and replaced it with the RiffTrax version of the movie (from the guys who brought us MST3K). I would like to publicly express my gratitude for the fantastic recommendations, as they were all exactly what I was thinking of.

The original 1959 House on Haunted Hill stars Vincent Price as a rich guy with nothing to do with his money. His hot young wife throws a party and all sorts of crazy twists are revealed! But most importantly, this skeleton/marionette machine answers that age-old question about old movies: "Can't they see the strings????" No, apparently they cannot.

This movie is really enjoyable to watch. It had enough going on to where I didn't get bored, but still built up enough tension and was just scary and surprising enough. There are some pretty neat special effects, and Vincent Price's voice is just so tickling. This movie would have been great to watch just as is, but I have to say the RiffTrax version was so much fun... Like this line:
"She was innocently hanging herself when something went horribly wrong!"


Whichever version you choose, have a ghoulish stay at the House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price!

No comments:

Post a Comment