Monday, October 18, 2010

Number Seventeen: A Nightmare on Elm Street

Just finished the classic slasher film A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original of 1984, not any of the sequels or the newly released remake). It was pretty much what I expected, and by that I mean that I wasn't really impressed, but I was satisfied.

I've always associated the words "horror" or "scary movie" with slasher films from the late 70s through the 80s. Movie enterprises like Halloween, Friday the 13th, and of course, Nightmare on Elm Street. I grew up in a time when not only did these films already have a following, but they had many many sequels to back them up. I always assumed they'd be way too scary for me to watch and stayed away from them. Two years ago, I finally got up the courage to watch Friday the 13th. It scared me a little, but mostly, it was all the build-up from years of avoiding it that made it scary for me. Now that I'm sixteen movies into the horror-fest, I don't want to say that I'm impervious to horror films, but I definitely am not as intimidated by this particular type of movie- the teenage slasher flick.

Everyone probably knows the plot by now... Freddy Krueger, who was killed years ago by some parents of children he killed, now stalks again in the dreams of his future victims. He only hunts in dreams, but the killings are very real and very, very bloody. Poor Johnny Depp really spewed blood everywhere when he was killed. OOPS that was a spoiler. But I'm pretty sure we already knew that was going to happen, right?

Anyways, this killer is pretty sassy and likes to taunt his victims. He's not particularly agile or fast, but he's maniacal and perverse, which does make him creepy.


The final scene though, when we think he's been vanquished, but then it turns out he's not? I really didn't like it. I don't know what I'd do differently, but it just seemed so damned cheesy and stupid. Like, "We couldn't think up a good ending that would still leave room for a sequel, but we've hit the 90 minute marker, so here's a pile of shit for you to leave the theater with. See you next year!" Lame.

I did, however, like the ugly red and green-striped top to Glen's convertible. Nice touch, Freddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment