Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day Six: Below

It might be kind of difficult for me to really take Below seriously yet because I was so surprised and amused to find Zach Galifianakis in it. And his character's name? Weird Wally. No, seriously. Like, they don't actually call him Weird Wally all the time, just Wally, but his character's credit is definitely "Weird Wally."

I'm just so tickled by him being in this movie because it was a good movie. The last movie I saw where Mr. Galifianakis made an appearance? G-Force. So unfortunate...

Back to Below... This didn't even seem like a horror movie at all until about halfway (or maybe more) through. It captivated me and kept me totally on edge. It had ghosts, but it didn't talk about them blatantly. It actually let me try to make connections without spelling everything out. For example, where a character could have said, "OMG I just saw our dead captain's face in the mirror!! HE'S STILL HERE AND HE'S GOING TO KILL US!" they instead see a flash of said creepy apparition, then continue to run from their terror by flinging themselves out the door of the submarine- while it's submerged. I just think this type of thing actually illustrates fear; rather than telling us we should be scared, it scares us. This movie was definitely a thriller and I liked that. I wasn't quite sure what was going on, but that wasn't because it was poorly made, it was due to a well-paced reveal.

I should get to the plot, just to let you know what it was actually about. In 1943, an American submarine takes on three survivors of a destroyed British hospital boat. They are led to believe it was sunk by a German U-boat. They then think the boat is following them. Weird things start to happen. For no reason, the ship seems to be faltering. Some say the boat is cursed; Weird Wally suggests that maybe they are actually all dead and that all the weird sounds are people trying to save them, but they cannot communicate back because they are all dead. He also collects Cracker Jack prizes, which makes me really freaking jealous of the Cracker Jack prizes from back in the day. Now it's just a stupid piece of paper with a lame puzzle on it or something. But I digress.

The submarine might be haunted, or maybe the whole crew is going crazy. Maybe both. But a lot of weird things are happening and people are keeping secrets. Oh and did I mention that they're trapped on a submarine that is submerged? I get claustrophobic just thinking about this situation. Submarines just creep me out.

Definitely glad I chose this movie over The Lost Boys for today. No offense, Corys, I just needed something a little more scary for tonight. There were quite a few gasps, a couple jumps and yelps, and I'm pretty sure during one scene Joey actually hid behind a blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment