Monday, October 18, 2010

Number Sixteen: The Devil's Backbone

My two favorite Spanish-speaking filmmakers bumped into each other at a film festival and decided to make a baby together. That baby would become Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone, produced by Pedro Almodóvar.

I've noticed that a lot of my favorite Spanish cinema takes place during the Spanish civil war. This film follows that pattern. It focuses on a boy's school, many of whom are orphans or whose parents cannot keep them safe due to the war. Carlos is the new boy, and is given a bed that used to be occupied by Santi, a boy who has disappeared recently. There are rumors of a ghost- the ghost of Santi.


(art courtesy Emma Coats)

The movie is more about one person who uses those around them to get their way, hurting and killing if need be. I feel like this is more of a drama with ghosts than a horror film, although some of the acts performed in the movie are definitely horrific. I really loved this movie, and I highly recommend it. If you liked Pan's Labyrinth, it's pretty much a guarantee you'll enjoy this one, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment