Saturday, October 16, 2010

Number Fourteen: Thir13en Ghosts

It would have been better if I had watched this on the 13th as my 13th movie, but I guess numerology isn't my strong suit.

Also, yes, I realize I am still behind on my movies, but it's the weekend now! (That means that yes, I will be watching more movies).

I spent most of the time while watching Thir13en Ghosts rewinding (what an archaic term) and rewatching scenes with Matthew Lillard, aka "Dennis," the psychic ghost-hunter, trying to figure out why he looked so familiar. I recognized Tony Shalhoub (Monk, in the tv show of the same name), but it took me awhile to realize it was in SLC Punk that I'd seen that goofy smile of Matthew's. This has nothing to do with Thir13en Ghosts, but I thought it was funny to think about Stevo growing up, moving out of Utah, and becoming a ghost hunter, like maybe all the acid finally caused a massive hallucination that resulted in the making of Thir13en Ghosts.

Anyways, the movie had me at "Matthew Lillard." I instantly liked it. They even gave him some really terrible puns, which made me happy. The plot is a little generic- father of two with recently deceased wife inherits awesome house from crazy relative, obviously house is cursed in some way- but it's still well-done and a fun movie. Instead of the house being cursed or haunted, we are immediately introduced to the idea of ghosts being intentionally trapped, and there is some sort of mastermind ploy for control of the underworld going on.

Anywho, the house is freaking AWESOME, the ghosts are super-cool looking, there's a good amount of suspense and fear, an only SEMI-predictable twist, and a nice gory death scene or two. Here's a super adorable version of the ghosts:



They're a lot scarier looking in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment